Fast & Easy Asian Lettuce Wraps:
- 1 pound of your favorite chopped/minced meat (i.e. hamburger, pork, turkey)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped to taste
- 1-2 TBSP fresh ginger chopped to taste
- 1–2 red chilies, deseeded and chopped (use a different chili if you’d like)
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1-2 TBSP soy sauce to taste
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- Head of your favorite lettuce (I like butter lettuce)
- 1 to 2 TBSP of chili garlic sauce
- ½ cup julienned carrots
- ½ cup of peanuts or cashews
- Heat a large frying pan and add a little oil. Season raw meat well with salt and pepper. Cook the meat on high stirring constantly. Fry the meat in the hot pan for 5–7 minutes until crisp and brown and broken down. Drain the crisped meat and put aside.
- Wipe out the pan and add a tablespoon of toasted sesame oil, or just plain oil. Add the garlic, ginger and chili (and carrots if you are using them. Fry with a pinch of salt and then add the sugar and cook for 2 minutes. Add the drained meat to the pan. If you are using chili garlic sauce, add it now.
- Add the soy sauce and heat through. Add the spring onions, stirring for 30 seconds. Turn off the heat.
-eat plain or put a little hoisin sauce in the lettuce, or a little chili garlic sauce before adding the meat mixture.
-add a squeeze of lime or lime zest if you want before you add the meat in the last step
-if you want a quick sauce put a TBSP soy sauce, tsp toasted sesame oil, ½ a red chili, squeeze of lime, and a tsp of brown sugar with tsp water or rice wine.
-you can use hamburger/beef, ground turkey, ground pork or chicken, or even use ½ pork and ½ beef.
-For a vegetarian version, take a pound of your favorite mushrooms and chop them finely and cook it as you do the meat. Again make sure you cook it on high to get the moisture out. Do what you like. Recipes are guides, not laws. Enjoy!